Want To Have An Advantage Over Other New Comedians? ComedyUniversity.com
One of the very few people that I follow on Twitter is comedian Wendy Liebman.
If you want to take a hard look at a seasoned, professional comedian who can deliver very tight, high impact stand-up comedy material, I would highly recommend that you study this talented comedy entertainer.
While I don’t know Wendy personally, here’s what I can tell you about her stand-up comedy that every comedian should know:
1. Her stand-up comedy material has a very broad appeal. That’s a big deal in the world of stand-up comedy (if you want to get work and keep working regularly as a comedian).
2. She is able to deliver clean comedy, suitable for the higher paying comedy markets, while exhibiting the skill to deliver mature comedy material (notice I said mature, not “adult”) with taste and class.
3. Wendy Liebman can literally slaughter audiences without a “manic” delivery style – she has a natural style that is dependent largely upon facial expressions and voice inflection to give her crisp comedy material its laughter generation power.
But let’s get down to the brass tacks, shall we?
Below is a YouTube video of Wendy Liebman’s performance on the Craig Ferguson Show on Dec 1, 2010.
Before you review that video to make a purely subjective analysis of how “funny” you think she is or is not, please review this article FIRST:
As you know, any time I review comedians — it’s based on their laughter generation ability in front of live audiences FIRST.
I don’t focus on the purely subjective determination of what is “funny” that the largely clueless “amateur comedy critics” use when viewing an online video ALONE — without the benefit or influence or audience dynamics.
Here’s the awesome video, after which I provide a minute-by-minute analysis using Comedy Evaluator Pro to show you exactly how she managed to slaughter the audience in the video:
Here’s what you need to know about this brief stand-up comedy set Wendy did on the Craig Ferguson Show:
Wendy averaged a whopping 23 seconds of laughter for each performing minute during that set (headliner level stand-up comedy is a minimum average of 18 seconds of laughter per performing minute).
To see a complete minute-by-minute break down of comedian Wendy Liebman’s set using Comedy Evaluator Pro, along with some additional notes and observations…
Here is a Comedy Evaluator Pro screen of Wendy Liebman’s set on the Craig Ferguson Show, along with a few comments below:
Here’s what you need to take note of:
1. Wendy generated 5-10 laughs per minute – critical for generating headliner level laughter.
2. The average seconds of laughter she generated each minute in this set was 23 seconds. That’s on fire, whether you personally care for her stand-up comedy on a individual viewership basis or not.
3. Her PAR Score for this set was 38 (meaning that 38% of each minute was audience laughter). That is far above the minimum for delivering headliner level stand-up comedy material, which is a PAR Score of 30.
The bottom line: Wendy Liebman is a top notch comedian and once again, Comedy Evaluator Pro tells the real story.
And if you have a low key, limited body language style of delivery (as opposed to comedian Brian Regan)…
You may want to pay close attention to Wendy. She is a comedy powerhouse to be studied. 🙂